Vols trounce Cougars, 52-19

Published 8:26 am Sunday, September 3, 2000

Advance Publisher
The opening kickoff of Friday's game between the Escambia Academy Cougars and the Monroe Academy Volunteers was an omen of things to come.
Receiving the intial kick, the Volunteers returned the ball to the Cougar 41-yard line. Four plays later, they were on the scoreboard.
In fact, the Volunteers would go on to score four touchdowns in the first quarter and would score on six of seven possessions in the first half.
The 52-19 loss was the second loss of the season for the Cougars.
For the Volunteers, the first quarter was all about field position and running the football.
Respectively in the first quarter, the four Monroe Academy drives started at the Cougar 41, 40, 46 and 35.
Staying on the ground for much of that period, the Volunteers posted 146 yards rushing on 13 carries, averaging more than 11-yards per carry.
They also didn't waste time between scores running only 15 plays in the first quarter.
Offensively for the Cougars, Brian Adair picked up EA's only first down of the first period on a 6-yard run to the Cougar 31. Unfortunatley, the drive stalled and the Cougars were forced to punt.
That's when bad got worse.
The snap from center was low, hitting the ground before reaching punter B. Adair. Adair tried to evade the Volunteer defenders but couldn't gain the necessary yardage. The Volunteers took over at the Cougar 35.
Two plays later the Volunteers added their fourth score of the night increasing their lead to 27-0 with 14 seconds remaining in the first.
However, the Cougars would not say die.
Later in the second after another Volunteer score, Kevin Adair broke loose on the ensuing kickoff and returned it 75-yards to the Volunteer 15.
From there the Cougars would not be denied.
After moving to the Volunteer 3, two Josh Davis passes went incomplete. Davis was also stopped at the line of scrimmage for no gain – putting the Cougars in a fourth and goal situation.
Cannon called for the Power I.
Handing to K. Adair, he went around right end for the Cougars' first score.
The point after made the score 33-7.
After the Volunteers added their sixth score of the half, the Cougars found themselves on the move again. After picking up a first down on a 5-yard Davis pass to Daniel Alaniz and another 5-yard gain by K. Adair, the Cougars were at mid-field.
With 41 seconds remaining in the half, Cannon called for a slant-and-go.
Davis had gone to Alaniz several times in the first quarter on a slant. This time Alaniz had other plans.
Breaking for the end zone, Davis found Alaniz open downfield for a 50-yard touchdown pass.
The two-point conversion failed making the score 41-13 at the half.
For the game, Davis was 5 for 12, passing for 105 yards and a touchdown.
In the first half, Alaniz had four receptions for 75 yards and one a touchdown.
Early in the fourth, the Cougars would find pay dirt again.
Returning to the air, Davis found Nick Jackson down field for a big gain to the Volunteer 10.
After a late hit call against Monroe Academy, the Cougars were first and goal at the 3. But it seemed as if the opportunity would pass the Cougars by when Davis fumbled the ball as he backed away from center.
Fortunately, K. Adair was able to scoop the ball up and run around the right side of the line. Breaking a tackle, Adair went airborne and dove across the line for the score making the final 52-19.
Cannon said he thought Davis and Rob Mosley played their hearts out. For the second week in a row, Mosley lead the team in tackles with 8. Other leading tacklers were Britton Ikner, 7; Shaun Sirmon, 5 and B. Adair with 3.
The Cougars will face Abbeville at home next week.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox