Fire officials lift ban on burning
By By SHERRY DIGMON
Advance Staff Writer
The ban on burning that has been in effect in Atmore for several months has been lifted.
Atmore Fire Chief Gerry McGhee said the eight inches or so of rain received in November was enough to allow the ban to be lifted – for now.
Trash, grass and debris are to be burned in a metal container or in a trash pile.
The metal container should prevent sparks or fire from spreading to any adjacent combustible material.
If a container is not used, McGhee suggests burning debris in small piles.
Burning is to be done at least 100 feet from a building, fence, structure or other combustible object.
When the ban was in effect, the public was very understanding.
Anyone with questions about burning may call 368-9156 and speak with the fire officer in charge.