Flames engulf home
By By ROBERT BLANKENSHIP
Advance Managing Editor
It was not a happy ending to the year 2000 for an Atmore family who lost their home Wednesday morning as a result of a fire.
The Atmore Fire Department responded to 185 Martin Luther King Avenue after they received a call of a fire at the residence at approximately 5:45 a.m. Upon arriving, they found the home to be well-involved by a working fire.
Two adults, Delarrian Poole and Tiffany Dryer, and two children, 7 year-old Raheem Dryer and 2 year-old Delahrrian Poole, were in the house at the time the fire began. They all escaped the structure without injury.
Captain Mike Staples of the Atmore Fire Department said firefighters worked to contain the fire, but were unable to save the house.
The investigation was turned over to Fire Marshal William Barnett of the Alabama Fire Marshal's Office who determined the fire was ignited at an electrical outlet.
The American Red Cross helped the family with immediate needs after the fire.
The Red Cross is looking for donations of furniture and money to help get the family an apartment or other home. Those wishing to make a donation can call the Red Cross at 368-3643.
Donations of clothing may be dropped off at the Red Cross office. Sizes are as follows: man – 36/32 pants and extra large shirt; woman – 16 pants and large shirt; boy – 24 months; boy – 12 pants and large (size 14) shirt.
A trust fund has been set up at First National Bank in Delarrian Poole's name.
By By BEN NORMAN Outdoors Columnist It was one of those cool December afternoons that makes a hunter feel like... read more