Wednesday fire ravages Main St. mobile home

Published 5:08 am Sunday, December 30, 2001

News Editor
A fire in a mobile home park last Wednesday caused no injuries, but destroyed one woman's home.
Around 4 p.m., the Atmore Fire Department received a call to respond to a fire at 1106 N. Main St. When firefighters arrived, the two-bedroom mobile home was completely engulfed in flames.
Firefighters were unable to save any of the home.
Caroline Russell said all of her and her family's possessions were destroyed in the fire.
Russell and her children were at her sisters house when the fire occurred.
Russell has two boys, ages 12 and 11, and one girl, 14.
According to Russell, her sister, Shantel Elliott, called the AFD, and within five minutes the first personnel were on the scene.
According to AFD Chief Gary McGhee, the stove in the home is the preliminary cause of the fire.
Russell said fire department personnel told her they believed the stove was to blame, but says that the stove was not on when she left her home.
There were no smoke detectors in the home.
The case is still pending investigation from the state fire marshall.
Russell said that she is staying with Elliot temporarily. She had no homeowners insurance.
Anyone wishing to donate clothes or other items to the Russell family may contact Russell at 446-3479.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox