Fri. Fire leaves no damage

Published 10:01 am Sunday, March 24, 2002

By By Robbie Byrd, News Editor
A fire Friday afternoon at Fred's Discount Store did no damage to any property, but instead raised an important issue.
At approximately 12:30 p.m. Friday, Atmore Fire Department personnel were called to a small fire behind Fred's.
According to AFD Chief Gerry McGhee, wind caused sparks from a small fire of papers to spread over to bundles of boxes behind Fred's.
The fire is still under investigation, however the AFD does not suspect malice.
McGhee said this incident brings up an important point on fire safety.
The current Atmore City Code (Sec. 9-5) says that "it shall be unlawful for any person to willfully or negligently set fire to grass or trash rubbish or debris except when the (it) shall be contained within metal containers capable of preventing the throwing of sparks on to or the spreading of fire to any adjacent combustible materials or except when placed in trash piles which are at least 100 feet away from a building, structure or fence"
A fine of $200 and 180 days in jail can be sentenced for not adhering to any part of the ordinance.
But Chief McGhee says that by using some safe judgement and planning ahead, burning does not have to be dangerous.
The incident at Fred's is still under investigation.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox