Can life be meaningless?
Published 8:18 am Monday, August 11, 2003
What is it that makes life meaningful? Is it the trophies, plaques, compliments, promotions, family members, friends, or the vacations that we all enjoy? Being that every individual is different, peoples' perceptions of themselves and their levels of happiness are varied.
Is each day cherished or do you find it difficult to get out of bed in the mornings? Stress and toilsome labor can cause one to feel overworked and sometimes depressed. In short, what brings you wisdom, happiness, and meaning in your life?
According to Ecclesiastes 3:1, there is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven.
* A time to be born and a time to die
* A time to plant and a time to uproot
* A time to kill and a time to heal
* A time to weep and a time to laugh
* A time to mourn and a time to dance
* A time to embrace and a time to refrain
* A time to search and a time to give up
* A time to be silent and a time to speak up
* A time for war and a time for peace
No matter what ethnic, social, or cultural background we might be accustomed to, diversity is what makes this world unique.
We can all learn from each other and comfort one another in times of distress or what seems to be meaningless situations.
A friend recently shared these thoughts with me:
* Do not undermine your worth by comparing yourself with others. It is because we are different that each of us is special.
* Do not set your goals by what other people deem important. Only God knows what is best for you.
* Do not take for granted the things closest to your heart. Cling to them as you would your life, for without them, life is meaningless.
* Do not let your life slip through your fingers by living in the past nor for the future. By living your life one day at a time, you live all the days of your life.
* Do not give up when you have something to give. Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
* Do not be afraid to encounter risks. It is by taking chances that we learn how to be brave.
* Do not shut love out of your life by saying it is impossible to find. The quickest way to receive love is to give love!
* Do not dismiss your dreams. To be without dreams is to be without hope. To be without hope is to be without purpose.
* Do not run through life so fast that you forget, not only where you have been, but also where you are going. Life is not a race, but a journey to be savored each step of the way.