Bears dissipate Hurricanes

Published 11:20 am Monday, October 13, 2003

By By Chuck Bodiford Publisher
Hurricane Field was drenched with both the rain and the morale of the Canes as they lost Friday night's game to the Leroy Bears with a final score of 14-0. As the first half got under way the Canes and the Bears went head to head with neither team seeming to gain any ground. Rain drizzled for the entire first half but both the Canes and Bears were determined not to give up.
The defense of each team put in the extra effort and held the other team at bay. This caused for first downs to be few and far between causing a total of seven punts. Leaving the first quarter with a score of 0-0 Brian Wesley of the Canes attempted to added a little fuel to the fire by receiving a punt and carrying it to the 50 yard-line. However the Canes fire was immediately doused as they fumbled on the next play allowing the Bears to take possession. With 2:21 left in the second quarter, Leonte Johnson intercepted a pass thrown by the Bears' Jared Hutto. With 0:00 left on the clock Hutto fired one last pass for 30 yards to Herman Chapman, for a score of 6 -0. The PAT was attempted but ruled no good. With a flag on the field the Bears got a second chance and made the PAT leading at halftime 7-0.
The Hurricanes left the first half with 100 yards made, but only nine rushing. Also the Canes punted four times for 34 yards and had four penalties called on them for a total 32 yards. The Leroy Bears matched the Canes' 100 yards with 70 yards rushing. The Bears punted three times for a total of 43 yards and had two penalties called on them for 10 yards. Probably the most deciding factor of the game was the end of the first half the Flomaton Hurricanes had four turnovers against them.
In the second half, the Canes would focus on passing as the Bears made rushing a primary component in their game. An inadvertent whistle by the referees allowed the Canes a replay in which they had fumbled the ball. With no time on the clock going into the fourth quarter the Bears intercepted another pass by the Canes.
Darius Irvin of the Leroy Bears made the second touchdown of the game, 9:57 into the fourth. The PAT was good. The Canes then fumbled after the quarterback was blind-sided making for the Canes sixth turnover of the night. Final score was the Leroy Bears winning over the Flomaton Hurricanes 14-0.
After the game coach Don Thornton said, " I was really proud of the kids throughout the whole game. They fought hard and never gave up. " The Canes, now 5-2, need to win the next two regional games to qualify for the playoffs. They are at home against Choctaw next week. Kick off is 7:30.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox