Southern Choctaw too much for Canes

Published 11:42 am Monday, October 20, 2003

By By Chuck Bodiford Publisher
FLOMATON -The Flomaton Hurricanes played Southern Choctaw Friday night in one of two important regional games for the Canes. In last week's game against Leroy, the Canes lost forcing them to win the next two regional games if they were going to have a chance at the playoffs. Despite the Canes need for the win, the Indians walked away triumphant winning with a final score of 24-7.
The game got under way as Flomaton's Brian Wesley gained some yardage after receiving the ball with 7:57 into the first quarter. The next play the Canes fumbled the ball allowing the Indians to recover. Less than a minute after taking possession, Detric Causey of the Indians, scored their first touchdown of the night after rushing for 55yards. Southern Choctaw was prevented from running the PAT by Flomaton's defense. The Canes came right back at the Indians as Brian Wesley ran to the 8 yard-line, only to be called back to the 31 yard line due to a holding penalty on the Canes.
Coming into the second quarter with the Indians leading 6-0, the Flomaton Hurricanes continued to fight for their first touchdown of the night. As the clock continued to count down, the Indians showed no sign of letting up as C.J. Williams, quarterback for the Canes was taken down behind the line by Southern Choctaw's Patrick Sims. With 6:17 on the clock Jeremy McGrew scored the Indian's second touchdown of the night. Again, the Indians missed the PAT. The Canes determined not to leave the second quarter trailing by 12, scored with three minutes on the clock after C.J. Williams passed to Alphonso Wesley who ran for 20 yards and made the touchdown for the Canes. The Canes PAT was good for a score of 7-12 as Southern Choctaw lead leaving the first half.
The Southern Choctaw Indians took possession of the ball coming into the second half after receiving the kickoff from the Canes. Just as Leroy had stayed away from passing and mainly rushing, the Indians began to slowly but surely drive up the field. With 7:11 in the third quarter, the Canes had yet to touch the ball as the Indians continued to gradually move up the field. The Indians fumbled the ball, but recovered on their 11th play of their first drive. At 4th and goal on the 10 yard line the Indians attempted the field goal, but missed allowing the Canes to take possession for the first time in the third quarter with 4:14 on the clock. The Canes didn't hold on for long to the ball as Williams threw a pass intended for Clemente Brooks, however, Joseph Gibson made the interception. Not only would the Canes lose the ball, but also their starting quarterback, Williams, would suffer from an injury to his right knee for the remainder of the game. Detric Causey would again score a touchdown for the Indians by running for 26 yards, with only 47seconds left in the third quarter. The Indians once again missed the PAT for the third time this game.
The Canes would continue to fight even as the clock counted down their defeat. C.J. Williams of the Canes took possession of the ball with 7:03 on the clock after the Indians fumbled. It wasn't until there was only 2:23 left in the second half that another touchdown was scored. The Indians came into the fourth quarter leading 18-7, but would leave 24-7 as Detric Causey made his third touchdown of the night. The PAT once again garnered no additional point. With a final score of 24-7, the Indians won over the Canes.
Depending on the outcomes of both Georgiana and Leroy's games tonight and next weekend the Canes might still be eligible for the playoffs. Next Friday night the Flomaton Hurricanes will travel to McKenzie in search of an additional regional win.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox