Poarch fire investigation ongoing
Published 6:17 pm Thursday, April 22, 2004
By By Arthur McLean Editor
Investigators have not released an official report on the house fire that killed 78-year-old Ora Mattson in the Poarch Community Friday.
While at the scene, investigators were observed studying the kitchen area of Mattson's duplex unit with great interest, but no word was available at press time as to the exact cause of the fire.
Mattson was 78 years old and blind. The fire broke early Friday morning and neighbors noticed the flames and called 911.
Neighbor Joyce Kuhn tried to save Mattson, but was unable to enter the home.
Ragan Ingram, the Assistant Commissioner for the Alabama Department of Insurance said the report from the fire marshall is not complete.
The Alabama Department of Insurance is the agency in charge of the state fire marshalls. Anytime a fire involves loss of life, the state fire marshall is required to investigate.
Matton's funeral was held Sunday.
She is survived by one brother, Houston and Charlotte Colbert of Morgan City, La.; three sisters, Doris Colbert of Poarch, Ann and Morris Bos, Dottie and John Padgett all of Atmore; numerous nieces, nephews, and relatives.
On Monday, a fire destroyed a shed in Atmore. The Atmore Fire Department was called to 219 Col Williams Road around 3:30 p.m.
Within minutes of arriving, firefighters had the flames knocked down and were patially dismantling the shed while spraying hot smoldering areas.
Atmore Fire Chief Gerry McGhee said the cause of the fire was someone burning leaves and leaving the burn unattended.
A fire warning in effect for several weeks due to drought conditions was lifted last week.