Faircloth dies in freak accident

Published 6:47 pm Wednesday, May 12, 2004

By By Chuck Bodiford Publisher
No one could have ever predicted last Tuesday's events concerning the tragic accident involving George Taylor Faircloth. That afternoon around 5:40 p.m. the call came over emergency radios that a man had been penned underneath a car on Oak Street, in Atmore. While on the scene, the Advance learned that Faircloth had lost his life in the accident.
Personnel with the Atmore Police Department, Fire Department and EMS arrived on the scene of the accident. According to Police Chief Jason Dean the incident is being ruled an accident.
Dean said it is believed that Faircloth thought the car, a 1989 Plymouth Reliant K, was parked, but the gear shift was left in reverse, with the engine running after Faircloth got out of the car. Taylor's wife, Dot, told police the car began driving around in circles when Taylor Faircloth tried to stop it. The car struck Faircloth, knocking him over.
Before his death, Faircloth was involved in a number of organizations such as First United Methodist Church and the Historical Society. Faircloth, who was 78, had been a member of the church for more than 50 years where he served in many capacities, one of which was Sunday school superintendent. During this time, the church experienced its highest attendance.
For his church he has acted as Church Historian and has been referred to as Atmore's best shade tree historian by some of his friends.
Faircloth was a founding charter member of the Atmore Historical Society. During his tenure with the Historical Society, Faircloth worked diligently to ensure that the Peavy-Webb building, now located at Heritage Park, was restored. "Taylor has been the real force in making sure that the building was renovated and taken care of," said his friend John Garrard. "I remember Taylor just coming over to my house Monday evening talking about the windows in the building. They had taken down all the old curtains that were in there, and he was saying what we are going to do about the windows."
Garrard, who is also a founding charter member of the Atmore Historical Society, has known the Faircloths since he and his wife, Fonda, first moved to Atmore in 1949. Since their moving to Atmore, the Garrards and the Faircloths have been backdoor neighbors for 53 years, in two different locations. Dot Faircloth worked with John Garrard at Escambia County High School for four years and also for 30 years of his 45 associated with the Atmore Public Library. "We each helped raise the other's children," said Garrard.
"What can you say about him, he was involved. I can't think of any job that he didn't fulfill."
During his lifetime, Faircloth was a veteran of World War II, worked with the Atmore Area Christian Care Ministry and served as a grocery and insurance executive. He is survived by his wife, two daughters, one brother, three grandchildren, and one great-grandchild that was born on the day of his passing.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox