Winter fire safety a must

Published 1:27 pm Monday, November 13, 2006

By Staff
Our View
While Atmore recovers from a long period of drought that sparked many brush fires, firefighters with the Atmore Fire &Rescue Department are now busy fighting house fires that are believed to be linked to the use of heating units to accommodate the change into cooler temperatures.
According to a recent poll by the American Red Cross, four out of five Americans are unaware that house fires are the most common disaster in the United States, and only 26 percent have actually developed and practiced a home fire escape plan.
Volunteers with the Alabama Gulf Coast Chapter of the Red Cross located in Atmore are encouraging residents to use extreme caution when heating a home with an electric or gas heater. They also suggest that families install a smoke detector as well as a carbon monoxide detector.
The American Red Cross encourages everyone to take a few simple steps to make their home safer during the winter months.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox