APD continues investigation into Sunday morning accident on Hwy. 21

Published 11:05 am Friday, October 5, 2007

By By Adam Prestridge
Four Atmore residents were injured and one walked away following a head-on collision early Sunday morning at the intersection of Hwy. 21 and Presley Street near Johnson Ford.
Sandy Marie Booth, 18, who was driving a red 1995 318i BMW, remained in intensive care Tuesday evening at West Florida Medical Center after being airlifted by Life Flight for treatment of injuries sustained in the accident.
According to officers at the scene of the accident, Booth's vehicle collided head-on with a 1988 Oldsmobile Aurora driven by Keena N. McGhee, 22. Kelley's Ambulance transported McGhee to Atmore Community Hospital where she was treated and released.
Although the Atmore Police Department could not release much information regarding the accident, one detail of the crash was evident.
"All we can determine now is that the BMW was in the northbound lane at the time of impact," officer John Stallworth said.
McGhee had three passengers in her vehicle at the time of the accident. Life Flight also flew Archie Jackson from the scene to West Florida Hospital where he was discharged Tuesday following treatment. Jason Countryman, 23, was taken to Atmore Community Hospital by private vehicle where he was treated. Atmore resident Amber McGhee was not injured in the accident.
According to Stallworth, officers and rescue personnel were dispatched to the accident scene at 2:13 a.m. He said speed is believed to be a contributing factor in the crash, but said there has not been any confirmation whether alcohol was related.
Atmore Fire &Rescue Department chief Gerry McGhee said firefighters used four sets of Jaws of Life to free Booth from her vehicle including two sets by Walnut Hill Volunteer Fire Department personnel.
"We always work well together," McGhee said.
Also assisting at the accident scene were deputies with the Escambia County, Ala. Sheriff's Office and the Escambia County, Fla. Sheriff's Office and Atmore Ambulance personnel. Both vehicles were towed to David's Paint &Body.
The extent of Booth's injuries and others involved in the accident were unknown at press time.
The accident remains under investigation by the Atmore Police Department.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox