Tiger-Sul smoke incident cleared

Published 3:45 pm Monday, December 17, 2007

By By Adrienne McKenzie
Atmore Fire Department personnel were called to Tiger-Sul Products, LLC in Atmore Wednesday at approximately 7 p.m. as a precaution due to a chemical spill, according to general manager Drew Taylor.
"The Atmore Fire Department was called as a precaution because a liquid tank was emitting smoke," Taylor said in a press release. "The smoke was extinguished without incident or damage to the premises."
Assistant fire chief Mike Staples said because of the smoke leaking, the incident required many resources.
"Because it was a chemical, that made it a Hazmat incident," Staples said.
Staples said the chemical released was sulfur with ingredients of copper and bentonite. Sulfur releases H2S (hydrogen sulfide) so the fire department utilized H2S detectors on the scene. Firemen also wore turnout gear and used RIT (rapid intervention teams), where two firemen were sent in to Tiger-Sul and two were ready to be sent in if they were needed, or three firemen were sent in and three were prepared to go.
"We used our resources of Tiger-Sul employees, EMA and Escofab employees," Staples said. "We also had mutual aid from the Poarch Volunteer Fire Department."
Fire chief Gerry McGhee said the AFD personnel did a good job on the scene.
"My men did a fantastic job," McGhee said. "The chemical spill was all contained."
McGhee said Kelley's Ambulance was on hand to ensure the safety of all who came out of the facility. Also the Escambia County Sheriff's Department and the Atmore Police Department were on hand.
"They did a great job keeping people out and letting us do our job," McGhee said.
Taylor said Tiger-Sul personnel are thankful to all emergency units for their assistance.
"Tiger-Sul Products, LLC appreciates the prompt response of the emergency services team," he said.
Staples said there were seven units at the scene, including three engines, one service vehicle, one squad vehicle and two chief vehicles. There were 15 firemen from AFD available. The firemen were called to the scene at 7:15 p.m. and were dismissed at 12:27 a.m.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox