Trash fire endangers Wawbeek home

Published 5:00 pm Monday, January 7, 2008

By By Adam Prestridge
A Wawbeek woman is counting her blessings following a Friday afternoon fire that nearly engulfed her home.
Just before 2:30 p.m., firefighters with Wawbeek Volunteer Fire Department were called to the home of Paula Sanspree indicating that there was a fire with possible entrapment. After encountering some difficulty finding a route to reach the home, which is located at 164 Sanspree Lane just off Dugout Lane in Wawbeek, that was safe for fire trucks to drive down due to muddy conditions, the fire was quickly extinguished.
Once on the scene, fire personnel learned that no one was inside the mobile home, which received only minimal damage to the rear siding. A burning trash pile nearby is believed to be the cause of the fire as indicated by Sanspree and confirmed by fire officials. The fire quickly spread burning a majority of the yard around the mobile home. The fire also destroyed several cars and other personal items located in the yard.
No one was injured during the fire.
Atmore Fire &Rescue Department and Flomaton Fire Department were also called to the scene to offer mutual aid to Wawbeek VFD.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox