Vehicle fire threatens YMCA

Published 6:57 pm Saturday, January 26, 2008

By Staff
For those Atmore residents fearful that the Atmore Area YMCA &Community Center was on fire Saturday afternoon, there is no need to fret.
Firefighters with the Atmore Fire &Rescue Department responded to a vehicle fire in the Y's parking lot at approximately 1:55 p.m. Thick, black smoke filled the sky and could be seen from miles away coming from the vicinity of the YMCA.
AFD chief Gerry McGhee believes an electrical malfunction was the cause of the fire, which quickly spread to the gas lines of the silver-colored Cadillac. Firefighters battled the blaze for about 20 minutes due to the nature of the fire and problems opening the hood to reach the fire's source.
For more information, see Wednesday's Atmore Advance.
– Adam Prestridge

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox