Ambulance goes up in flames
One of Atmore Ambulance's emergency vehicles caught fire as Frank Jay was driving it down Hwy. 21 Wednesday afternoon. Jay and Daniel White were the emergency personnel inside the vehicle and there were not any patients being transported.
"We were just driving down the road and it started smoking," Jay said.
Jay pulled the vehicle over in front of Lee Collision Center. The two Atmore Ambulance employees attempted to put the fire out, but the hood was too hot for them to open so they began working on saving the ambulance's equipment.
"We tried to salvage any equipment we could," Jay said.
Jay and White got a majority of the equipment out of the scorched ambulance and neither men were injured.
Atmore Fire Department and David's Towing responded to the scene.