• 79°

Letter to the Editor

By Staff
Ikner commends quick response by fire departments
Dear Editor,
Early on the morning of April 6 my home and car on Airport Road was devastated by fire. If not for the swift response of the Atmore Fire Department, the Walnut Hill Volunteer Fire Department and Poarch Creek Indians Fire Department, the loss would have been much greater.
I am incredibly grateful and unbelievably impressed with our local emergency workers. Not only did the fire departments respond quickly, they were professional, organized and efficient throughout the ordeal. Because of our area firefighters who went above and beyond the call of duty, a portion of my house was saved from the flames.
I would also like to extend a very special thank you to Chief McGhee who was very kind and helpful to me throughout. I would also like to thank the “C’ shift firefighters- Ronald Peebles, Mike Repress, Andy Hammond, Jeremy Lee and Cade Langham who were the first to respond on the scene. I would especially like to thank Ronald Peebles, a former student of mine, for his concern and constant updates to keep me informed of the situation.
A special thank you is also due to Robert and Diane Stewart as well as many others who came to assist from the Walnut Hill Volunteer Fire Department. I am so very grateful as well to my neighbors, friends, and Church family who have graciously showered me with support and assistance since the fire occurred.
I want everyone in our area to realize what a professional fire response team we have. These men and women are so dedicated and organized, and we are blessed to have such a wonderful department. On a final note, I would also like to urge everyone to have a working smoke detector in the home. It’s a small price to pay for something that could save one’s possessions and ultimately one’s life.
Grace Ikner
Atmore