Flames consume Trammell Street home

Published 12:56 am Monday, April 27, 2009

By By MaryClaire Foster
If not for the billowing smoke coming from the front eve of Minnie and Leonard Pruitt’s house, it would not have been evident that inside flames were ravaging the home.
Minnie Pruitt was home alone and in the kitchen shortly before 9:20 a.m. Wednesday morning preparing to cook breakfast when she momentarily left the kitchen.
In the meantime, Pruitt had called 911 to come to the home located at 306 S. Trammell St. and was able to get out of the house uninjured.
Although the fire started in the kitchen, Atmore Fire Chief Gerry McGhee said it was not immediately apparent how the fire originated.
After the fire was extinguished, Banks said the inside of the home was an almost complete loss.
Atmore Fire Department responded immediately to the scene followed shortly after by Atmore Ambulance and the Poarch Fire Department.
Banks said she was very grateful for the fire department’s swift response.
McGhee also wished to express his gratitude to Poarch for their aid.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox