Friday Flames

Published 12:53 pm Monday, August 10, 2009

By By Adam Prestridge
Flames quickly ripped through a mobile home on West Sunset Drive Friday morning leaving an Atmore family homeless.
According to Atmore Fire Department Chief Gerry McGhee, the fire, which started around 11:25 a.m. at 573 West Sunset Drive, is believed to have been started by children playing with candles. From his initial investigation, McGhee believes the home is not salvageable.
Maxine Fantroy, whose daughter and four grandchildren lived in the house, showed emotion at the scene as she cried for the home her late sister, Dorothy Ann Clark, once owned.
Atmore Fire Department was assisted by Poarch Fire Department. Medics with Atmore Ambulance, officers with the Atmore Police Department and Escambia County sheriff’s deputies assisted at the scene.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox