Brewton toddler dies after choking on marble

Published 5:48 am Tuesday, January 26, 2010

By By Kerry Whipple Bean
An 8-month-old baby died Monday after the child accidentally choked on a marble, Brewton police said earlier this week.
Brewton police were called to an apartment on Scott Street Monday when they received a 911 call about a baby who was not breathing, reports said.
Brewton Police Capt. Randy Nicholson said no charges have been filed, but the police department will have to wait to close the investigation until after they have received autopsy results.
Lucy Ann Lambert told police she had given the baby a bath, dressed her for daycare and placed her in a playpen while the mother got dressed for work. When she returned to the room, she discovered the baby was not breathing. She immediately called 911 and began CPR to try to revive the baby.
When emergency officials arrived, Firefighter James Carroll grabbed the baby and rushed her to the ambulance, where she was rushed to D.W. McMillan Hospital and pronounced dead at 8:17 a.m.
Lt. Eric Suarez was called to investigate the death, police said. Suarez determined that the baby had choked on a marble that somehow got into the playpen.

Sign up for our daily email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox