Atmore First Assembly holds annual July 4 Celebration
Published 1:06 pm Sunday, July 2, 2023
Atmore First Assembly of God held its annual Celebration of Freedom service July 2 in the church sanctuary.
Patriotic songs, sayings, recognition of military branches – U.S. Army, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Navy and U.S. Marines Corps – and guest presentations comprised the service, which honored America.
Pastor Don Davis and wife, Sara, led the celebration, which also included an orchestra, choir patriotic decorations.
Those who were recognized included Capt. James E. Campbell, U.S. Navy; Petty Officer Third Class Dental Technician Lynne C. Campbell, U.S. Navy; Lt. Victor S. Campbell, U.S. Navy; Sgt. Cody E. Norton, U.S. Marine Corps; Spc. Taylor S. Norton, U.S. Army; and Staff Sgt. Joseph H. Protsman, U.S. Marine Corps and Army.
- James Campbell was in the Navy from 1968-2000, serving at Naval Hospital, Beaufort, S.C.; and Naval Hospital, Pensacola, Fla.
Medals, badges and citations include the National Defense Service Medal, Armed Forces Reserve Medal, Good Conduct Medal, Navy Achievement Medal, Pistol Marksman Ribbon, Naval Reserve Meritorious Service Medal and Navy Fleet Marine Force Ribbon.
- Lynne C. Campbell was in the Navy from 1970-1973, serving at Corry Station, Pensacola.
Medals, badges and citations include the National Defense Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal and D.T. Class “A.”
- Victory S. Campbell was in the Navy from 1971-1974, serving in the Republic of Vietnam, U.S.S. O’Callagham and N.A.S. Pensacola.
He was the communications officer of the U.S.S. O’Callagham; and earned the National Defense Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Republic of Vietnam Campaign Ribbon, Marksman Badge and Good Conduct Medal.
- Cody E. Norton was in the Marine Corps from 2009-2017, serving in Cherry Point, N.C., Miramar, third Aircraft Wing, San Diego, Calif.
His medals include the Aviation Ordinance System Tech., Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, Expert Rifle Qualification, Expert Pistol Qualification Badge and Letter of Appreciation.
- Taylor S. Norton was in the Army from 2010-2015, serving in South Korea in the 236th Military Police co., San Antonio, Texas.
Her medals include the Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Korea Defense Medal, Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon, Driver and Mechanic Badge and Non-Commissioned Officer Professional Development Badge.
- Joseph H. Protsman was in the Marine Corps (1970-1976) and Army (1976-1987), serving in the Republic of Vietnam, McAlester, Okla., Camp Pendleton, Calif., COB, 4-63rd, Armor, Ft., Riley, Kan., HHC 367th Armor Division Ft. Hood, Texas.
His medals include the National Defense Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Rifle Marksman Badge and Good Conduct Medal in the Marine Corps; and the Army Achievement Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Army Service Ribbon/Overseas Service Ribbon, Meritorious Unit Commendation, Good Conduct Medal and Expert Qualification Badge in the Army.