County says yes to Atmore satellite office paving project
Published 10:21 am Wednesday, November 15, 2023
The Escambia County Commission approved authorizing a competitive bid for a repaving project at the Atmore Satellite Courthouse parking lot during its regular meeting Monday.
In other business, the commission approved a new polling location for voters in District 3.
Little Escambia’s polling location will be located at the Osaka Freewill Baptist Church on Hwy. 113 for all future elections.
“The church is more centrally located for the district,” Commissioner Larry White said of the change. “They have agreed to allow their fellowship hall to be used as a voting location. They have a nice parking lot and the fellowship hall is really nice and would be good accommodations, especially for our elderly. We want to thank the folks there for allowing us to come there for voting.”
In other business Monday, the commission:
• executed a juvenile detention contract with the DYS for one bed at the Baldwin County Juvenile Detention Center in Bay Minette. Sheriff Heath Jackson asked if there could be an agreement to allow for additional bed availability. “The juvenile crime rate is going up,” Jackson said. “When we have a need, we are told we already have one bed filled and have nothing available.” Commissioners agreed to move ahead with the current agreement for one bed, but would seek to negotiate with DYS for additional availability when needed.
• executed the FY 2023 EMPG Grant. the Federal Emergency Management Performance Grant will be $33,933 and will benefit the office of Emergency Management for Escambia County;
• authorized placing a bid for AS400 hardware and software upgrades;
• executed an agreement with Avenue Tax Collection who will collect and distribute sales taxes in the county;
• approved the designation of county depositories;
• approved a request from Sheriff Jackson to declare a 2003 Suburban as surplus to allow for disposal through auction at govdeals website. Jackson said the vehicle was recently replaced in service with a new van typically used to transport individuals for forensic and other purposes. “We will auction off the vehicle and use the money to go toward the cost of the new van.” The commission agreed and will allow disposal of the Suruburan.